Wednesday, December 1, 2010

He's Here!!!!!

So many People have asked if I would share our Labor and Delivery story. I have edited the pictures so as not to reveal too much. I know that most my followers are FEMALE so I feel pretty comfortable in sharing our story with those who are interested. I know that my decision to have him naturally was the right decision and I am proud to say I DID IT!!
Here Goes:)
I woke up Wednesday Morning at 6:30am to what I thought was a very hard "Kick" to my belly button.
I rolled over and went back to sleep only to be awakened 5 minutes later. I felt and heard a loud "POP" I jumped out of bed and felt the GUSH! I ran to the bathroom (where Patrick was showering) and shouted  "WE ARE HAVING A BABY TODAY!" He said, "What makes you think so?" I said "Well, my water just broke" haha
The next hour is kind of a blur as we ran around the house like a bunch of crazies. We had to start some laundry and clean up my "Water Mess" and we made a few phone calls. We told our families that we were headed to the Hospital but that we didn't want anybody waiting in the waiting room and that we would keep them updated and invite them up to visit when we were ready. One of those phone calls was to our niece Lauren who was celebrating her 10th birthday and was going to share this special day with her new cousin:) I then called my midwife, Helen and we both decided it would be a good idea if I came in since my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart. Patrick had to stop in to work first so we headed there and I walked into the office with him IN LABOR...lol. The contractions were causing quite a bit of discomfort and pressure so we headed out.
We arrived at the Hospital at 8:15am where they took me into a triage room and hooked me up to make sure I really was in labor. They monitored the baby and I and everything was fine. I was dilated at a 4. Get me out of this room and onto having this baby!
I got into the Jacuzzi at 9:00am. It was INCREDIBLE!! I BARELY FELT ANY CONTRACTIONS!! It was so nice. We turned the lights down and Patrick brought my IPOD in and fed me sips of Cranberry Juice. It was HEAVENLY!
At around 9:40am I had a strong urge to push...Helen came and checked me and I was dilated to a 9! HOLY COW!!! 40 minutes?!?!?!?!?!?! So out of the Jacuzzi we went and into our Birthing suite.
I did not want them to place an IV because I wanted freedom of movement and I told my midwife that I would drink as much as I needed to to stay hydrated. They respected my wishes except that they placed a line just in case they needed to get to my vein's fast but I am proud to say that I didn't receive ANY fluids:) The next couple of hours were spent moving from the bed, to the floor to the shower, to the yoga ball, to the toilet, to the floor to the shower to the bed and so on. I used the birthing bar most of the time and it really helped to squat and let gravity do all of the work. I was in the zone and managing my pain and pressure any way I could think of. I was able to rest in between contractions and was so grateful that I was able to eat and drink whatever I wanted including a twix bar...YUM!  Patrick was amazing and supportive and loving and was right by my side the entire time.
Here I am smiling between contractions:)
 The baby was "Stuck" behind my pelvic bone and it took several hours to encourage him to "Turn the Corner" as Helen kept saying but by 2:00pm I was ready to push!! It was an exhausting experience.

At 4:59pm. Anderson Lyman Miller was born:) 9 pounds 2 ounces and 21 inches long! His head was 16 centimeters and with the help of Herbal oils and gradual stretching, I didn't tear at all! WOW!
Patrick and I had done some research about Cord Blood Banking and had decided that it was too expensive and we thought it was INSANE that we should have to pay for what is OURS! Paying for My Blood just seems so stupid to me. I had heard of a practice in Australia of leaving the baby attached to the umbilical cord and placenta until it naturally falls off. This is called a Lotus Birth. I had heard that Lotus babies are more relaxed and peaceful.  Not clamping or cutting the Umbilical Cord allows the placenta to continue to pulse and transfer nutrients and antibodies to the baby. It also supports the baby's young liver, because the placenta continues to pump out toxins while still providing oxygenated blood to the baby. We wanted Anderson to slowly and gently let go of his attachment to the Placenta instead of having it ripped away so suddenly. Lotus Babies are allowed to gradually and slowly use their lungs and begin breathing when they are ready. Oxygen flows to the baby until after the placenta is dispelled from the womb so that he is never completely oxygen deprived until after the cord is cut. We believe that Anderson's Transition from Womb to World was a gentle, positive and spiritual experience. We left him attached to his Placenta for a little over 4 hours and then daddy got to cut the Cord...It was all white and floppy and emptied of blood which means Anderson received all of his Cord Blood at birth. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?    To learn more Click on this link: LOTUS BIRTH 
Me and My AWESOME MIDWIFE, Helen!!! She was so loving and encouraging and she helped me in ways I never thought possible. I could not have birthed confidently without her by my side. I was able to Birth Without Fear and for that I am truly grateful to her. She was open to our Birthing Preferences and ideas and encouraged and helped Patrick be the best birthing companion he could be. WE LOVE YOU HELEN! 
 at 9:15pm Patrick gave him his first bath:)
 All Ten Fingers!
 All Ten Toes!!!
We are Officially a Family of Three! 

WE LOVE HIM SO MUCH AND CAN'T IMAGINE OUR LIVES WITHOUT HIM!!!

7 comments:

Thompson Family said...

He is just adorable! Congratulations again!

Cooper Family said...

He is so darn cute!

Kay said...

What a great post, Paige. Congratulations to all of you on such a graceful beginning. Kay

Sarah said...

Paige! I didn't know that you have my favorite midwife in the world! Isn't Helen the most wonderful out there? I realize this is your 1st, but you are so lucky to have found her on #1 instead of #5. She is the best. (and more.)

The Original TomKat said...

Congratulations! It really is the best!

Carrie said...

So awesome! I love you guys and am extremely happy for you!!! :)

Thompson Family said...

Paige! Congrats it is such an amazing feeling to have your beautiful baby natural. I had McKenna and Sage naturally using hypnobabies! Helen is absolutely amazing!! She was my midwife as well, unfortunately she was not there during delivery Sage was born almost exactly an hour after showing up to the hospital! The pictures in the hospital are so great (thanks to Mari!!) Thank you for sharing your story.